Do you ever feel like you know someone just by hearing about her over many years? Susie is Nancy’s sister. I know she makes delicious and creative food. She’s pretty, fun and loves her family. She’s also a youngish grandmother who loves cuddling babies. I can picture the kind of clothes she wears because Nancy will often say, “My sister Susie could get away with wearing that! (And it’s always something stylish.) Susie also talks to the hummingbirds that linger on her feeders, “Hi sweetie…”
Now you know Susie like I know Susie. Enjoy one of her signature recipes.
Marinated Shrimp and Avocado
- 2 lbs. shrimp, peeled, cooked and deveined
- 2 small onions sliced (I used one bunch of green scallions)
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- Lemon-Thyme Marinade (recipe below)
- 2 avocados cut into bite-sized pieces
Combine the shrimp, onions and mushrooms in a bowl. Toss lightly. Pour in the Lemon-Thyme Marinade and toss gently to coat. Chill covered in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Add avocado a few hours before serving. Drain the marinade and serve.
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (I added some fresh thyme from my garden to the dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
Whisk ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.