Chipotle-Seasoned Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
Welcome your family home from the school or work day with a pot roast — slow cooking all day while you were busy with all the things you do.
- 2 packets (1.25 oz each) Ortega Chipotle Taco Seasoning Mix (use one packet at a time)
- 1 boneless chuck roast (about 3lbs)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jars (16 oz, each) Ortega Garden Vegetable Salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into two-inch lengths
- 1 large onion, quartered
Rub one packet seasoning mix over both sides of roast.
Heat olive oil in Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add roast and sear both sides until browned. Transfer roast to slow cooker (crockpot).
Combine salsa, water and remaining seasoning mix; pour into slow cooker to cover roast.
Cover and cook on high for three to four hours. Turn roast over. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion. Cover and cook on high for one hour longer.
Remove roast and vegetables to serving platter. Let cooking liquid stand five minutes to allow fat to rise. Skim off fat and discard.
Make the sauce: Pour two cups cooking liquid into saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serve with roast.
This is a short version of an earlier post titled “Feeding the Traver, Or What Do Eloping and Chili Have in Common?